Steven C. Haney began his legal career in 1985 as a prosecutor in the office of the Will County State’s Attorney. After prosecuting all misdemeanor offenses, including DUI offenses and other serious traffic violations, he was elevated to prosecuting felonies in 1986. This experience included the investigation, negotiation and trial of all levels of felony prosecution including capital offenses, narcotics violations, and sexual assault/abuse charges.
In 1989, Steve left the office of the state’s attorney to work in the Joliet office of the Chicago law firm of Rooks, Pitts & Poust. This experience included the litigation and negotiation of multimillion-dollar injury claims involving defective products, medical malpractice, insurance disputes, automobile accidents and construction injuries.
In 1993, he left the Office of Rooks, Pitts & Poust to form his own law firm concentrating on criminal and injury cases. In the past 30-plus years, Steve has been involved as lead counsel in some of the areas most publicized criminal and personal injury trials, including the Cosco crib case, the Escobel firebombing murder, and the Tennant family quadruple homicide/arson trial.
Steve lives in Plainfield, Illinois with his wife, Jane, and their three sons, Kyle, Colin and Cameron.
Former prosecutor with over 30 years of courtroom experience.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Sexual Assault / Abuse
- Juvenile Crimes
- Domestic Battery
- Drug Possession
- Weapon Charges
- Revoked License
- Reinstatement of License
- Criminal Law – Federal (White Collar Crime)
- Traffic Violations
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Death Penalty Litigation, Illinois Supreme Court, 2002
- Illinois, 1985
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1996
- John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI
- B.S. – Economics and Business Administration
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Trial Lawyers Association
- National Associations of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Illinois State Bar Association, Member
- Capital Litigation Trial Bar, Lead Counsel Certified
- Will County Bar Association, Member
- Will County Criminal Bar, Chairman
- Federal Court Trial Bar, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Tomczak & Haney, Partner, 1993-2000
- Rooks, Pitts & Poust, Associate Attorney, 1989 – 1993
- Will County States Attorney Office, Assistant of S.A., 1985 – 1989
You were a steady and calming influence when we faced some extremely unsettling circumstances with our teenager who made a stupid decision and was arrested. Your knowledge of the laws and manner in court was very professional and assertive in representing us. You were encouraging to keep our hopes alive for a future for our son who was never in serious trouble before, yet upfront about what he ...
I used you twice for a DUI and for a domestic violence dispute. You were simply the best. I could not ask for anything more from such a great person and attorney....
You were an excellent lawyer in my case. There was always good communication and what you promised, you delivered. I would recommend you to any and all of my friends. Good job, Steven, and if I ever need you again, I have your number stored in my phone....
I made some huge mistakes and found myself in a world of trouble with felony charges. Thankfully, you took my case and after many trips to court, you secured probation without any formal conviction being entered (“a 410 probation”). This is the absolute best outcome I could have gotten and I am forever endebted for securing it for me.. Yoiu are well known and respected in the legal community a...